On 9/18/06, Stephen Deasey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was wondering why registering a proxy handler is different than a
regular registered proc.  Do they have to be different?

As I've been reading the NaviServer sources to acquaint myself I was
wondering the same thing.

The main difference seems to be that you can register a proxy for a
protocol, i.e. http or https, but you don't have that option with
regular registered procs.

Is this an important distinction to make though?  Registered procs can
still check the protocol, manually, if they care.

I don't think it is an important decision to make because the
registered proc can already check in the cases it matters.  Back in my
ACS 4.2 days I'd regularly introspect whether the conn was ssl or not
in a registered proc.

Re having to register for each method, that also is sometimes a
problem for registered procs. Maybe allowing something like:

  ns_register_proc * /* callback

Where the only supported symbol is '*', meaning 'default, if no more
specific method is registered'.  Perhaps that's too confusing --
people will expect full glob support.  I don't think glob support is
possible, or even desirable here.  Url handlers are supposed to be
deterministic, only one will match some URL (unlike filters).

I think the "*" would confuse peope (re: globbing).  What about the
empty string? After all, a regular expression of "" will match any
input, so there is a conceptual linkage available.

That's what occurs to me off the top of my head...

Ditto.

Michael