On 07.10.2006, at 17:23, Stephen Deasey wrote:

The caller doesn't have a time budget for executing the code in the
slave, they have a budget for sending the code, executing it, and
receiving the result. So yes, if it takes 5.01 secs with one byte
remaining, you fail. No crystal ball.

OK.

The more useful info we can gather the better, I think.

Allright. I buy this.

So, trash all those timeouts, apply a general (-evaltimeout) to the
whole request and bite off that time as we hop thru the processs.
At any point where we had to give-up because ot the timeout, we
maintain a counter of errors for that spot.

That was a hard birth... but I believe we now all have the
clear picture about that aspect.

What remains:

   naming of the module
   API (handle vs. handle-free)

Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash http://www.techsay.com/default.php? page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV