I also tried Hoard, Google tcmalloc, umem and some other rare mallocs i could find. Still zippy beats everybody, i ran my speed test not threadtest. Will try this one.

Zoran Vasiljevic wrote:
Hi!

I've tried libumem as Stephen suggested, but it is slower
than the regular system malloc. This (libumem) is really
geared toward the integration with the mdb (solaris modular
debugger) for memory debugging and analysis.

But, I've found:

http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/index.html

and this looks more promising. I have run its (supplied)
test and it seems that, at least speedwise, the code is
faster than native OS malloc. I will now try to make it working
on all platforms that we use (admitently, it will not run
correctly if you do not set -DNDEBUG to silence some assertions;
this is of course not right and I have to see why/what).

Anyways.... perhaps a thing to try out...

If you get any breath-taking news with the above, share it here.
On my PPC powerbook (1.5GHZ PPC, 512 MB memory) I get improvements
over the built-in allocator of a factor of 3 (3 times better)
with far less system overehad. I cannot say nothing about the
fragmentation; this has yet to be tested.

Cheers
Zoran