Can it be issue with Purify, if it does not grow with zippy?

Also, while we are playing with optimization and tuning this month i have two things to add:

1. Having 2 identical configs notice the difference of virtual memory used in NS and AS just after start, looks like we consume a lot of memory

vlad 11100 0.0 0.6 37548 3264 ? Ssl 12:55 0:00 /usr/local/ns/bin/nsd

vlad 11136 1.0 0.5 13024 2712 ? Ssl 12:56 0:00 /usr/local/aolserver/bin/nsd

2.I was testing ADP speed between NS and AS and noticed that AS is faster and looking into code it is more flexible and optimized. I am going to backport adp stuff from AS to NS

Zoran Vasiljevic wrote:
Hi!

I have found (yet still not fixed) a leak in the
current code.

It is not trivial to expose it, but it is there.
How to reproduce?

Build a Tcl lib with threads exabled, but before
compilation, edirt the Makefile and replace
-DUSE_THREAD_ALLOC with -DPURIFY=1

Now before running the server do:

    LD_PRELOAD=your_modified_tcl_lib.so

When the server starts, log into control port and do:

    time {ns_thread join [ns_thread create "set a 1"]} 10000

and watch "top" utility how the process virtual and resident
sizes grow and grow and grow...

Now, stop the server, edit bin/init.tcl file and instead of

     foreach f [file channels] {
         if {![string match std* $f]} {
             close $f
         }
     }

write

     if {0} {
     foreach f [file channels] {
         if {![string match std* $f]} {
             close $f
         }
     }
     }

Start the server again and repeat the

    time {ns_thread join [ns_thread create "set a 1"]} 10000

The virtual and resident process sizes remain constant!

It is important to recompile Tcl lib with -DPURIFY as this will
disable the zippy allocator and fall-back to plain system
malloc/free. This way the effect of the leak can be tracked by
looking at the top output.

I still do not understand why is this so. If somebody needs a
nice puzzle-solving over the christmas, he's welcome!

Cheers
Zoran