Am 13.01.2007 um 10:45 schrieb Gustaf Neumann:

Fault was, that i did not read the README (i read the frist one) and
compiled (a) without -DTCL_THREADS .

In that case, fault was that on FreeBSD you need to
explictly put "-pthread" when linking the test program,
regardless of the fact that libtcl8.4.so was already
linked with it. That, only, did the trick.

Speed was (as expected and still not clear why)
at least 2 times better than anything else. In some
rough cases it was _significantly_ faster.

But... I believe we should not fixate ourselves to the
speed of the allocator. It was not our intention to
make something faster. Our intention was to release
memory early enough so we don't bloat the system as
a long-running process.

I admit, speed of the code is always the most interesting
and tempting issue for engineers, but in this case it
was really the memory savings for long-running programs
that we were after.

Having said that, I must again repeat that we'd like to
get some field-experience with the allocator before we
do any further steps. This means that we are thankful
for any feedback.

Cheers,
zoran