On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Gustaf Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Let me point out another nice feature of git:
> git provides server-support to behave to clients like a
> cvs and/or svn server. This means, one can access the git
> repository from cvs or svn (or git) clients. Not sure
> if this is an issue, but a user who does not want to
> learn new commands can contiune to use the CVS interface.

I'm not sure this is actually useful.  You can't really commit from
cvs or svn, and a straight checkout is actually easier in hg and git
than cvs, which requires you to specify a user even if it's just anon,
and they often show this in two stages.

For those who don't want to install any extra tools I've enabled the
tarball feature. You can grab a tarball of any revision of any project
straight from the web interface.

> I personally like git for its speed and simplicity to setup and
> usage. Git has certain ideosyncharies (e.g. does not like
> empty directories), and the downside is that if the full
> feature set of a more distributed scm is used, things become
> quite complex, at least for a casual user.

Git is very nice. But it is considerably harder to use than hg.  Even
for someone like Zoran, who is quite capable, but is too busy to faff
around with something like this, I think that would be a barrier.

The main thing for me re hg and git is that you can't go wrong with
either of them, where as cvs and svn have too much baggage these days
and most of the other systems have serious problems some where.
Bazaar is probably a solid 3rd -- a Dr. Pepper to the Coke and Pepsi
of git hg...  :-)