Dear Jeff,

Is it possible to add test cases showing the problems to the
regression test?
This way it is easier to pinpoint the problem.

for the connection queuing example, it is harder to write a
test.
yes, it is true to run in this situation in pathological
cases such
as benchmarks and "bad configurations". While i tend to agree
to this diagnosis, i am not so sure about the prosed cure.

On 11.10.12 03:44, Jeff Rogers wrote:
> It is possible to get into a situation where there are connections
> queued but no conn threads running to handle them, meaning nothing
> happens until a new connection comes in.  When this happens the server
> will also not shut down cleanly.  As far as I can figure, this can only
> happen if the connection queue is larger than connsperthread and the
> load is very bursty (i.e., a load test);  all the existing conn threads
> can hit their cpt and exit, but a new conn thread only starts when a new
> connection is queued.  I think the solution here is to limit
> maxconnections to no more than connsperthread.
this is not a desirable solution: connsperthread might be
set to 1 by a user
who wants always fresh threads, but setting "maxconnections"
to 1 would
lead under this rule to a single connection structure
(maxconnection == 1)
which implies sequential connection  processing. Wouldn't be
a timeout on
the queue a better solution, functioning similar to incoming
request but
handling queued requests if there are these?

> Doing so exposes a less
> severe problem where connections waiting in the driver thread don't get
> queued for some time; it's less of a problem because there is a timeout
> and the dirver thread will typically wake up on a closing socket fairly
> soon, but it can still result in a simple request taking ~3s to
> complete.  I don't know how to fix this latter problem.
>
> Obsolete commands in manpages - several still have examples with
> ns_share - ns_mutex, ns_register, and ns_register_filter.  Examples in
> ns_mutex and ns_sockcallback refer to 'detach', which I've never heard
> of but from the usage I'm guessing is the predecessor to ns_chan.
there is certainly still a lot to improve. some pages have
wrong markup,
some pages are missing etc. whenever i step over something,
i try to improve.
any help is welcome here. just now i have commited a
different example for
ns_mutex.

-gustaf neumann