On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 10:16:31AM -0700, Jeff Rogers wrote:

> If there is not significant performance advantage to the
> platform-specific optimized version of Ns_GetTime over the
> platform-independent Tcl_GetTime, is it worth it to keep the optimized
> version?

It is very much worth it to me, at least for now, because:

One, I don't understand how the invocation of the
"platform-independent Tcl_GetTime" even works.  There is never any
explicit call to Tcl_GetTime nor any other Tcl function, and
Tcl_GetTime does not appear on the call stack.  The so-callled
"optimized" code is easier to understand.

Two, the current "platform-independent" approach locks up in my
Windows build, while the old Windows-specific code that AOLserver used
for many years does not.  I do not know why this is, but I certainly
will use the old Windows-specific code until I figure it out.

--
Andrew Piskorski <a...@piskorski.com>