We don't see such hangs either. Does increasing the waittimeout solve this issue?
... not as a fix, but to narrow the problem down.
-gn

Am 10.05.17 um 13:38 schrieb David Osborne:
The manifestation for us in production is quite insidious and difficult to spot the root cause of. Certainly not easy to see via the logs.

One place we are experiencing it is in code which generates outgoing emails. Sometimes, when the outgoing email is particularly large, nsproxy times out while using a external utility to convert (the large) html to text. This never seems like a big issue at the time.

But it's the NEXT task which calls nsproxy which will hang forever without error. The then system just slowly grinds to a halt until naviserver is restarted.

nscp 2> ns_proxy configure exec
-env {} -exec /usr/lib/naviserver/bin/nsproxy -init {} -reinit {} -maxslaves 8 -maxruns 0 -gettimeout 0 -evaltimeout 0 -sendtimeout 5000 -recvtimeout 5000 -waittimeout 1000 -idletimeout 300000

As I mentioned, when I watched the hang in gdb, it seemed to be waitpid() (via NsWaitProcess) where the hung threads are waiting.