Brian,
It is certainly possible to overload every command, but i would not recommend it, since this can break code in various ways, and i would not recommend to rely in general on the non-standard-confoming AOLserver encoding.I would rather recommend to implement a new function (e.g. ns_urlencode_aol) which can be used in your UUID implementation. Would this be an acceptable approach for your system? i could dig out the AOLserver code and send you such an implementation, in case that would be of use for you.

-g
PS: there are many - also pretty standard - ways to compute an UUID. An UUID should not depend on an encoding representation, which is just intended as a temporary representation for transit, internally everything should work on the decoded values.