DS-3 is also exempt for other reasons.

Section 4.5 specifies application of surge and overvoltage to "paired-cable
interfaces."  Further the criteria of this section apply to "each
telecommunications port connecting to an outside plant pair"  DS3 is not a
paired interface.

They are discussed in section 4.6 which is entitled "Criteria for equipment
interfacing with coaxial cable ports."  This section replaces section 4.5 for
coaxial cables.  It also states "these criteria are not intended for...
conventional telecommunications services, such as DS3."

All this leaves DS3 without much of a home in section 4 of 1089.  I would assume
that the long duration of the deployment of DS3 has left the RBOCs with a good
strategy of deployment of DS3 (adequate protection devices at the building
entry) such that they are not experiencing problems with DS3, thus no additional
regulation is needed.  Until we get additional guidance from the RBOCs or
Telcordia, it would seem the thing to do is to report when DS3 ports exist in a
product so that future revisions of the product may be subject to requirements
when, and if, they become necessary.

I agree with Jim that if the DS3 stays within the building and the shield is
connected to ground at both ends that no testing would be required under 4.5 (if
you consider that applicable at all).  I do however believe that DS3 may leave
the building and that there exist implementations which do not ground the shield
at one end.

-Jon Curtis

--
Jon D. Curtis, P.E.