Eric,

I assume you are aware of the published clarification on this subject
published by Telcordia in December 1999.  I suspect this might have led to
your questions, which are very good.

Rather than discuss your points specifically, I feel that simply covering
the intent of this generic requirement might clarify the issue.  I am also
confident you will also find varying interpretations at the various test
houses.

The first point is that this requirement is found in Section 9 of
GR-1089-CORE which is titled "Bonding and Grounding".  Just as the title
implies, the intent behind the requirements is to ensure there is a reliable
path for fault currents to flow and for reliable equipotential grounding.
This section was not intended for maintained functionality after a fault
condition.  This may be desired, but the short circuit tests that require
continued functionality are in Section 4 and deal with Tip and Ring
circuits.

The second point is that R9-20 and R9-21 are "type" tests.  That is the lab
will short the output at the output terminals and again at the load (if it
is remote to the EUT).  The assumption is that during normal operation, a
component fails and the output is shorted.  The test is to determine if a
safety hazard is possible if this situation occurs.  The pass/fail criteria
are simply to make sure that the bonding and grounding paths (fault current
carrying paths) remain undamaged, and there is not a risk of a fire hazard
or mechanical hazard.  This is best accomplished by using fusing or other
sacrificial component that limits the current or opens the current path
before any damage to the bonding and grounding paths can occur.  If a
non-bonding or grounding trace opens benignly without  catching the
cheesecloth on fire, that would in my opinion be acceptable.  However if a
trace opens and in the process damages a frame ground trace, -48VR trace, or
other trace that will provide electrical safety (even without fire) that
would be a failure.

The third point is that this test is not an in-depth investigation into what
happens under every conceivable change of load impedance or overload
condition.  These types of investigations are normally part of a safety
listing program performed by a NRTL "Nationally Recognized Testing Lab".
That is why I strongly endorse the Listing of all equipment regardless of
its location in the network.  The testing program for a Listing would be far
more thorough than what is in R9-20 or R9-21.  Overload testing, component
fault analysis, as well as short circuit testing would be conducted.  Not
only would this type of evaluation look for damaged fault return paths, and
blatant fire hazards, it would look for components that would overheat and
potentially cause a fire.  A major omission to the requirements in R9-20 and
R9-21 is that the length of time the output is shorted is not defined.
Therefore technically for NEBS compliance a 1 ms short is as valid as a 30
minute or 10 hour short.  The tests for a safety listing would require the
current to stop flowing or require thermal equilibrium to be reached or 30
minutes before the faults are removed.

On a second somewhat related issue, the status of safety listing standards
for Network equipment is a mess right now.  There is technically not a
safety standard to which most network equipment should be allowed to be
Listed.  UL 1950, UL 1459 (which goes away April 1), and the new UL 60950
all require that the equipment listed by the safety standard be "intended to
be installed per the National Electric Code".  Network equipment that
resides on the telco side of the demarcation point is exempt from the NEC
per Article 90-2 section b which states that the following are not covered,
"Installations of communications equipment under the exclusive control of
communications utilities located outdoors or in building spaces used
exclusively for such installations".  Only the installation methodologies of
the wire and cable are controlled by the NEC, the telco owned "equipment" is
exempt.  Therefore telecommunications equipment that is intended for
deployment in C.O.'s, the outside plant, or inside the customer premise (if
on the telco side of the demarc) cannot be listed to appropriate safety
standard as one does not exist (although several NRTL's are inappropriately
doing it to UL 1459 and UL 1950 due to NEBS requirements or customer
requests).

What I would propose is that industry (either through UL, T1E1.7 or TIA
TR41.7) develop an ANSI  safety standard for network telecommunications
equipment that resides on the telco side of the demarc point or that makes
up the demarc point.  The new safety standard could be closely modeled after
UL 1950, 1459, 1863, GR-63-CORE and GR-1089-CORE.   It could incorporate
several GR-63-CORE, and GR-1089-CORE items so that the original compliance
as well as continued compliance could be verified by the end customer simply
by seeing the listing mark on the product.  This could also be used by
CLEC's to demonstrate compliance with the FCC report and Order last spring
stating they only need to comply with NEBS Level 1 as defined by SR 3580 if
they want to co-locate equipment in a C.O.  They could show the listing
information and the FCC part 15 information to the ILEC and demonstrate
complete NEBS Level 1 compliance.

Examples of what could be incorporated into the new safety standard are:
1.) GR-1089-CORE section 4 - Second level power fault and lightning
requirements
2.) GR-1089-CORE section 4 - Listing requirements
3.) GR-1089-CORE section 7 - Safety
4.) GR-1089-CORE section 8 - Corrosion
5.) GR-1089-CORE section 9 - Bonding and Grounding (which would clear up
your original question)
6.) GR-63-CORE section 4.2 - materials analysis for flammability (use ANSI
T1.307-1997)
7.) GR-63-CORE section 4.2 - burn test (use ANSI T1.319-2000 which is in
progress now, assuming it includes pass/fail criteria as has been proposed.
Otherwise use its methodology and GR-63-CORE pass/fail criteria)
8.) UL 1950, UL 1459, 1863  - use the basic principles with the
understanding that this equipment is exempt from the NEC and certain
concepts such as voltage limits/classifications in GR-1089-CORE are in
direct violation of the NEC (which only allows up to 60 VDC on customer
premise telco wiring and 150V on any telecommunications wiring, GR-1089-CORE
theoretically allows 400VDC with GFI).  Replace TNV1, TNV2, TNV3, and RFT
with Class A1, Class A2, and Class A3, AB, and B. Eliminate the European
concept of creepage and clearance distances in telco circuits as the
infrastructure of the North American network has proved itself safe with
dielectric tests only.  The creepage and clearance distances specified in UL
60950 for circuits above 60 VDC are not obtainable with the current
infrastructure.  With UL 60950 ILEC's will need to do voltage management for
the Listings to be valid rather than service management which is not
logistically feasible.  Other industry standard items that are incompatible
with UL 60950 are wire wrap pins and in some cases champ style connectors
and even the twisted pair wiring which in many cases does not have thick
enough insulation and in many cases is not Listed (as required by the NEC).
Also "frame" the standard more from a perspective of a service person or
craftsperson as they are the only ones who are intended to be using this
equipment.
9.) If the equipment is a PBX, computer, router, or other type of equipment
that can have a dual role as customer owned and operated or telco owned and
operated, it would require a listing to UL 60950 (or meeting the
requirements of UL 60950) as well as items 1 through 7 above.

I believe this would be greatly beneficial to the end users, equipment
vendors and the test labs.

Of course questions and issues regarding specifics of sections of GR-63-CORE
and GR-1089-CORE covered by a new ANSI safety standard could easily be
addressed by clarification and changes in the standard.  This cannot be done
with the Bellcore NEBS documents.

Jim

Jim Wiese
NEBS Project Manager/Compliance Engineer
ADTRAN, INC.
901 Explorer Blvd.
P.O. Box 140000
Huntsville, AL 35814-4000