I've set up a Graph gist at http://gist.neo4j.org/?9494429e3cbbbeda2b11
which is one example of the types of queries I'm trying to do.

I have lots of queries where I want to collect information from related
nodes, where the relationships are optional.  Even with small databases
(10's of thousands of nodes), the results are taking a long time to be
returned and I'm trying to figure out why.  I suspect the pattern that I am
using to query for the related nodes is the problem, so I'm looking for
information on how to optimize it.

All of my queries start at a single node which is indexed and obtained with
a parameterized query.  After that I traverse the graph down no more than 3
or 4 relationships to find a single node or set of nodes to return.  For
each of the nodes I return, I grab information from a set of related nodes
and return all the data as an array of maps.

The query in the Graph gist finds a single contact in the graph and gathers
related information and returns it.  This query can take up to 85ms with
only a few hundred nodes in the graph, which tells me I'm doing something
wrong.  Trying to return a thousand nodes in a similar manner can take up
to 1.5 seconds or more.

Any insight on how to improve this type of query?

Thanks!