I think ideally it would help if I could get the subgraph results in the
following format (i.e. basically a list of relation properties with src and
dst nodes):

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| from                                  | to
|  rel_prop                  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Node[x]{}                          | Node[a]{}                     |
:link[q]{val}              |
| Node[x]{}                          | Node[b]{}                     |
:link[r]{val}              |
| Node[y]{}                          | Node[z]{}                     |
:link[s]{val}              |

If the subgraph was delivered like this then I could easily load the
subgraph into my java application for processing with something like this
example:
//https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j/blob/2.1.1/community/cypher/docs/cypher-docs/src/test/java/org/neo4j/cypher/example/JavaQuery.java