I think that the exception seen here is hiding the real exception.
Basically something goes wrong during startup and so neo4j tries to shut
down and back out before throwing that exception out to the user. Shutting
down somehow results in this exception and so that gets thrown instead of
the real exception. I'll have a look at trying to reproduce with dummy
exceptions at different points in startup.