Hi,
I am a mathematics teacher and I'd like to store my data in a more
convenient way than Spreadsheets.
I'm still not sure what database form to use, graph or relational.
While I suppose that these forums are biased, I hope to get some good
ideas. I don't have experience in databases or any query language, but I'm
willing to invest.

The Main part of the databse would be the marks per student per exercice.
It would scale up to around 5000 students and 2000 exercices (not every
student has done every exercice, thus a sparse matrix).
While this seems to be excellent for spreadsheets, it seems subpar for SQL
since crosstabs would produce 5000*2000 rows. In Neo4j I have two nodes and
I link them by Grade with a numeric argument.

The students themselves should contain information like email, but also be
linked again to classes.
The Exercices should be linked to class papers and maybe topics with
propreties such as max marks. As far as I've read I shouldn't include
binary files into my DB (a shame).

I really like that Neo4j is easy to understand and intuitive. Both (Neo4j
and SQL) seems easy to get information into and out of (via csv).

I still have some worries about portability. I've got a hosting space with
an SQL database (over phpmyAdmin) and Neo4j seems to made mainly for local
use, it's not as easy to install as Joomla (a CMS) for example.

So, what do you think about the situation? Is one sort of database clearly
better than the other? Should I lean more towards SQL since it has more
documentation (and is more "standard") or is Neo4j better suited for
complete beginners?

Thanks in advance
Richard