Richard,

I think you understood the graph data model well enough to get started, I
recommend to take the online intro course to get up to speed with the query
language.

it should be easy to get your data imported into Neo4j with LOAD CSV + MERGE

for hosting there are cloud hosting offerings for neo4j, your database
could even fit on one of their free plans see:
http://neo4j.com/developer/guide-cloud-deployment

Not sure how you would connect to the database from an application or if
you just want to use the plain database for your own or department/school
use?

Michael