The instructions in the manual show you how to change it for only the
'neo4j' user. See
https://neo4j.com/docs/operations-manual/current/#linux-open-files

The key point is that the first column is the username.

Your command 'su - neo4j' probably did not work because the neo4j user has
no login shell. That is usually a good thing, for security. You should
rather change to root (sudo -s) to do admin work. If you really need to
become neo4j user, then first 'sudo -s' to get root and then 'su - neo4j'
to become neo4j.