On 3 Feb 2002, Vincent Labrecque wrote:

>Date: 03 Feb 2002 11:58:45 -0500
>From: Vincent Labrecque <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: This list is now open to posting from members only.
>
>David Dawes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> > People should be attaching text files inline in the message, IMO.
>>
>> Everyone has their own opinion.  Don't impose yours on me.
> Am I imposing it? I was just making a suggestion.
>
>> All of these arbitrary restrictions are ridiculous.
>
> Uh, what restrictions?  All mailers can accept inline text, and most of them
> can also handle attachments.  How is using the more general a restriction?
>
> I don't really care what the outcome of this is, I'm just curious about what
> you were thinking about..

These types of issues have no "correct" answer.  Whatever a
particular person is using, they will expect to be "correct"
regardless of reason based on personal preference.

When it comes to patches at least, I expect someone sending me
patches to attach them to the message as standard MIME
attachments so that any MTA's and MUA's the patch may pass
through before it gets to me, do not modify whitespace or
otherwise change a patch.  PINE in particular, as shipped in
source code form from UW, will modify whitespace in messages,
which destroy's diff patches.

When I receive inline patches, generally I find that they will
not apply, and when I ask for a MIME resend, they apply.

So there are arguements both for and against using inline for
file attachments.  In the end, it is up to the sender, and anyone
elses wishes can be ignored by that particular sender.

I think the current discussion however is sort of humorous.  The
list maintainers will set up the list how they think is best, and
are more likely to ignore people who start flamewars about it,
than to give it any thought.

It's easy to use procmail to filter and/or munge messages into
the preferred way.

So what's right or wrong in anyone's eyes, including my own, is
more or less irrelevant.

General open IRC discussion:    #xfree86 on irc.openprojects.net