> [ ... getting 800x600 in 16bpp with a 896k memory card ...]
>
> I'd really love to get this mode working. I'm pretty sure I'm just
> completely crazy, but I'm going to keep trying until someone tells me
> otherwise.

% bc -l
896000 >= 800*600*16
0

 You can't, 896k is not enough to hold 800x600x16bpp.

> "Backing store" sounds kind of promising for cheating on how much
> video memory you have. Actually, "shadow framebuffer" sounded pretty
> promising, but it didn't actually make a difference.
 It doesn't have anything to do with it, as far as I know.

> Should I just give up and enjoy my 8-bit depth? Any suggestions?
 Yes, that's what you have to do.  Or get a better laptop. (I'm satisfied
with 8bpp since I only run xterms, but well. I'd be happy in 2bpp if the
LCD could handle 1024x768...)