Hi Shane,

I have once used a camera flash supply, but it did not work fine, since it has to load the capacitor for enough power...

I have build some HVPS (boos converter) using a circuit on Dieter's website (tube-tester.com), but I am not a very good engineer, that is why I used some random inductor that couldn't handle the large current, so the HVPS got rather warm.. It did work, though.

Now I am using the HVPS from Tayloredge, I would easily say they are the best available, looking at dimensions (very! small), power output (up to 60mA IIRC) and price (about $12 shipped). The seller "tortugascuba" has some HVPS online at Ebay, too, and they are quite useable, too, although a little more expensive due to the extra shipping costs.

So my bottom line is: If you want to enjoy your clocks safely, and focus on the tubes and the housing, take a readily built HVPS from the pros, and you won't regret it. If you have the engineering background, give building a HVPS a try.

Just my opinion :-)

Jens