Using a TXCO such as a DS1307 is by far the least muss and fuss. Stays
accurate to within a second or two per month, which is really
remarkable when you think about it.

That said, any properly designed (ie stable) quartz crystal oscillator
circuit should give you similar accuracy once it is calibrated to an
external source. You only need to do this once when per clock you
build at the time you build it.

I used to use a 1 pulse/second signal from a GPS receiver for the
calibration. I then wrote a calibration routine which would start a
counter in a 100hz interrupt service routine. I would count 60 pulses
from the GPS then stop the counter. Then I subtracted the counter from
6000 and that would be the number of clocks I would add or subtract to
per minute for my timekeeping.

This calibration approach might be appropriate for someone who likes
to code more than they like to solder, or wants the cost of the
hardware kept to a bare minimum; The TXCO can cost more than the
microcontroller !

..c