On 6/2/2011 12:26 PM, Robert Sexton wrote:

3. Find some other time source that you can decode to get the time (NMEA from a
GPS, WWVB, NTP, etc).

You can also use the 1 pulse-per-second (PPS) output from a GPS unit, but don't bother setting the time with the NMEA string. This takes a lot less effort, as you don't have to write a serial port driver and text parser. Just use the usual time setting buttons.

An excellent GPS receiver with 1PPS output is the Garmin GPS-18x-LVC. It has bare wire ends for RS-232 communications, so you have to put your own COM port connector and 5V supply on it. Its cost is $75.

1PPS may also be derived from a rubidium clock's 10 MHz output. Rb oscillators are not too expensive and hold time to within a millisecond per year. I made a rubidium nixie clock for my workshop:

http://www.nixiebunny.com/rbnix/rbnix.html

--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ