Use a 5 ohm shunt, and a gain of 15.6.

Probably a better idea since 5Ohm is readily available.

Here's a simple charge pump:

http://snipurl.com/23qbkk

only 4 parts. 2 10uf caps, and 2 1N4148 diodes. Output roughly -4V.

The URL does not work.. I am not sure if I have a spare controller pin for that, I will have to check.

The supplies need not be symmetrical. They only need to cover the
input
and output signal swing range, with a little margin. Op-amps are
beautiful.
Even from the old Philbrick tube modules

It is my first project that actually uses an op amp, so I am quite curious if this all works out.. I will let you guys know when I have something.

Many thanks for the input!

Best regards,
Jens