On Mar 17, 10:13 am, jb-electronics <webmas...@jb-electronics.de>
wrote:

> Gaston, thanks for your view as well, but I think I don't really get it.
> Even if the LED is not linear, so what? The current meter should still
> show the correct value, right? I mean, I cannot adjust it in any other
> way than turning one trim pot. So if it shows the correct value for one
> setup, it should also show the correct value for all others.
>
> So the only reasonable thing to do is to calibrate it at a higher
> voltage as I understand it, right.

Jens, what I tried to say is:
The current through the network is a function of the total voltage and
the total resistance (Ohm's law)
Roughly:
- The voltage is the one of the power supply less the LED voltage
drop. The LED voltage drop is a function of the current that passes
through it.
- The resistance is the sum of your trimpot's plus the two ammeters in
series. If this are comparable to the trimpot's then we start to have
a problem.

And the real problem is that finally the current is a function of the
voltage and... due to the LED, of the current itself !!!

Thus to eliminate sources of errors:
- get the trimpot as high as you can (thus to keep the current in
check, means increasing both voltage and trimpot's value). This is to
(coarsely) simulate a current source.
- get rid of that LED!!!

Regards
   Gaston