Hi all,

well, I will check the drivers with a small tube (like IN-17, or IN-16) and then I will also try to drive larger ones (ZM1040), since that is really of interest I guess. (But I know the HV9708 has to work with ZM1040 because Dieter uses that chip in his clocks with ZM1040 tubes)

But I have to admit, I never really thought about these drivers so much. I always figured they were open collector (or open drain which is basically the same idea), so they were simple "switches" that enabled current to flow from the +HV to GND. So these are "sink drivers" in this terminology.

What is the main difference compared to source drivers? Can these actually supply the HV? I.e. the sink drivers basically short the circuit (build a connection) but the source drivers provide +HV on an active pin? In this case, they should work as Nixie tube drivers, but inverted, given the high voltage supplied on the driver's pin is higher than the supply voltage minus ignition voltage of the Nixie tube. Because if the pin was at GND potential, fine, the Nixie tube glows, and if it is at HV (more than supply voltage minus ignition) the tube does not ignite.

And what about these push/pull drivers? Looking at the block diagrams it appears they are some sort of combination of these two. They can actively sink but can also supply HV.

Did any of that make sense? ;-)

Best regards,
Jens