Wow, lots of good advice. Thanks!

It sounds like I should start by testing our shop's vacuum pressure
capabilities on existing nixies and if all goes well then it is
possible to use stainless steel for cathodes.  I'll need to experiment
with the placement of the cathode and spacing. And then I will need to
refine for sputtering and longevity.

I think we're ok for voltage, and where we usually use a bombarder for
neon, we'll use our digital kiln for the nixie. I don't have a glass
lathe, so I'll have to make due with parts I can find and re-work.

In the meantime I'll research the patents and datasheets I can find.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. You've helped me figure
out a strategy to start my experiments.

Best,
Meredith