They look very neat, it's too bad that they seem to be so unreliable. I've never used them, myself. I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a small semi-transparent (plastic) half-cylinder to insert normal neons into, and achieve a similar effect? I also kind of like this enterprising individual's idea of putting the neons in a test tube:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Colon-Tube-tubes-separators-Nixie-Clock-CT-IN-18-/330527972009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5009aa9

-Adam