It's a dilemma.

Some years ago I found two calculators with pandicon tubes at garage
or estate sales, within a few weeks of each other. Both were in
perfect shape, both working. One was branded "Logic Data", can't
recall the other, but electrically it was a clone of the first.

I have no interest in collecting calculators, but I recognized the
historical value of these items. I basically gave one to the guy who
runs the on-line vintage calculator museum, and sold the second one on
eBay -- for not much money.

I wish now I had scrapped both for the pandicons. I'd love to make a
pandicon clock.... And did anyone see what that last pandicon sold for
on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190511988634

So while keeping the calculator intact has it's own merits, there are
certainly cases where it makes both economic good sense and good old
common sense to scrap a device for the tubes. Nice clock or clunky
calculator?  Valuable tube or low value device?

Terry