> Does anyone know what the insulation material used between the
> cathodes is? It looks like it might be a tiny ceramic bead, but now
> we're wondering if it is really mica.

Depends on the nixie.  I've seen ceramic, mica, and glass.  Any would work, I
imagine.

I got a quote for tiny ceramic rings for this purpose, but it was too expensive
for me.  Perhaps
glass seed beads would work (I've used these to make crackle neon tubing, and
they worked fine).
You'd have to make your support rods thin enough to fit through the beads,
naturally.

- John