Yes it was wasn't it.

However the scenario I had in mind [and my experience] both allow for 'probably' OK. The mil capacitors of post-war gear have been good for treatment if just lousy due to storage time. The capacitors in old commercial radios any era depend on manufacturer. I don't collect them but had re-furbished two with sentimental value - hence the caps are disconnected and new types 'temporarily' fitted. This is to protect the mains transformer as much as anything else. Added thermal fuse to transformers as insurance -weak as it may be.
WWII caps are hit and miss.

The capacitors that you mention "a hostile-ish environment (near tubes and other sources of heat)," are in a category that I call Faulty or worn out. I am/was talking about OK caps that were stored for ages - they can be revitalised [generally] and I hear such comments from WWII Rx collectors eg WS19 which is much in vogue over your way.

I have had more trouble with 'modern' caps. Even the manufacturers specs don't give you much confidence in commercial quality electros. I can remember the probs we [a gov dept] experienced at inwards goods - eg the Philips electros came in different 'life' categories. They were marked the same; only difference was the physical size. Some suppliers were either trying it on or were as ignorant as some of our inspectors !

With 'modern' gear I replace instead of mucking about; and some collector will rant and rave about it in 50 years :-))

Speaking of modern - a capacitor characteristic often overlooked in current times is the manufacturer specified operating voltage RANGE. Using a cap well below the marked voltage causes it to do two things; lose capacitance and also become resistive [ie leaky, but not liquid if you follow me]. In the 90s I was trouble-shooter at a largish [>2000 employee] local company and there were product recalls due to acceptance of electro caps of higher than specified voltage. eg 50V instead of 6V. The circuit already worked at a non-optimum <2.5V across the cap and that was acknowledged in the design.

I guess I was motivated by my hate of needless destruction of old gear. Attempt a reform - replace if required.

John K.
[PS The very old electros that slosh when you move them are better 'temporarily' replaced as I have done in my old Airzone. An explosion of those is a real mess and dangerous. The explosion of a typical WWII and later type just results in a bit of paste splatter and tons of paper and foil. (says I who had just moved his unprotetced eyes to the other side of my home-made 6 x 807 surplus parts guitar amp. As a schoolboy I just purchased the WWII surplus caps and wired them up. 800V parts and used at 650V. )]

[PPS. I suppose this is one of those topics you mentioned that moved off-topic is it?]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick" <n...@desmith.net>