On Jun 30, 3:31 am, Nick <n...@desmith.net> wrote:
> On Jun 30, 8:53 am, "JohnK" <yend...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> > Generally, old electrolytic caps that have just been allowed to sit can be
> > re-formed and henceforth operate properly.
>
> That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Of the kit I've rebuilt, the
> electrolytics have typically dried out, and thus cannot be reformed.
> Many were not sealed well and as they were operating is a hostile-ish
> environment (near tubes and other sources of heat), they often dry
> completely.
>
> Nick

Dried out electrolytic capacitors are one of the most common failures
in far more modern equipment too. While I try to restore old gear as
close to original as possible, I restore it to use it and electrolytic
capacitors get replaced. I've occasionally placed new capacitors
inside the gutted housings of the old parts but that's a lot of work
so the technique is reserved to particular pieces.