Since the frequency of oscillation is governed by R2, R3, and C2 and
assuming you are using +/-10% tolerance resistors you may see a range
of 27.5-33.6kHz and that's not even accounting for the cap, C2.  If
you're actually using 20% resistors your range can vary as low as
25.25kHz.  So 21kHz is still a little low but not outside the realm of
reason.  A quick experiment would be to swap resistors in your
breadboard ans see what variance you get there but I doubt this is
your problem.

Another thing that's important to check is your feedback node:
collector of Q2.  If the base is never being brought above ~0.7V then
your oscillator won't shut off when it should and you'll end up with
move than the desired 170V at the output.  I'm not sure how far it can
run away but it would certainly lead to components being fried because
your FET drain would see higher and higher voltages before the diode
turns on, potentially damaging the FET.

Try disconnecting the diode on your breadboard and applying a 12V DC
to the output node (where you expect 170V) and see what voltage you
measure at the base of Q2.  Do this with the oscillator unpowered (no
12V where it usually goes, just where it usually doesn't).  You should
see about (0.7/170)*12 = 49.4mV.  If its much higher than that you are
likely getting too great of an output voltage and it's burning out you
FET.

Just a though.  I haven't built this circuit yet but I've spent the
last few evening learning about it in detail.

If I've said anything grossly in err someone should correct me! :)

Cheers,

Steve