On 23 lis 2011, at 21:27, chuck richards wrote:
> Indeed, *is* there any modern low-current bcd-to-decimal
> high voltage ic that provides a one-package 16 pin DIP
> solution to this requirement?   Is there?  Please let me
> know if there is.

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but -- I thought I'd share m
findings.

I was looking for something that would let me drive nixies through a serial
interface.

The best I could find was the MC33999. It won't replace the 74141s, because of
50V max output drain voltage, but it might save some circuitry if somebody
wants to direct-drive nixies through a serial/SPI connection. While searching,
I also found the MCP23S18 (SPI) and MCP23018 (I2C) I/O expanders, which could
also be useful. You still need a driving transistor + resistor per cathode.

In my current design I decided to go with 74HC595s and 74141s; with 6 nixies
you still need two 16-bit chips anyway, so three 595s are not a big deal.

--J.