Thanks for the comments.  It might be a good exercise for me to wire up a
PIC or something similar.  I've been looking for a project to do some
actual perfboarding versus a kit PCB, and it would let me do some PIC
programming which I haven't done yet.

One other question if you actually have built one of these specific units.
 Any suggestions on connectors for the pins?  They're kind of rectangular.
 I soldered some wires directly to one of the units just to test it out and
play with the 74141 logic table but I'd like to find a connector to slip
on.

All the nixies I've built up until now were from kits or using an ardunix
or arduino with existing code so I haven't had to look at the truth table
until now.  I had fun watching the digits change based on which inputs I
was setting high.  I realize it's trivial, but it's exciting for someone
still learning the basics.