 From: threeneurons <threeneur...@yahoo.com>
To: neonixie-l <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:10 PM
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: FS: Shameless Plug Time - Dekatron Spinner Kits

On Dec 28, 10:01 pm, Dennis <daddyvan2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok you got me. Should know but what is CP/M?

Its an old computer operating system, sold by a company named Digital
Research. Around 1980, when IBM was trying to get into the "personal
computer" market, most of those computers ran on CP/M. What about
Apple? Yes, as a single company, they had the largest market share,
and ran their own proprietary OS. Still they only accounted for about
20% of the market. There were dozens of companies that made small
computers at that time. Most were built using S100 form factor boards,
and used the OS CP/M. Digital Research owned the OS market. IBM
approached them to provide CP/M for the PC they intended to make.
Digital Research balked. Bill Gates was going to lose big, since he
was going to sell his programming languages to IBM. To keep the deal
afloat, he bought a small OS, from a local developer, and presented to
IBM as PC-DOS. He also structured the deal, to allow him to sell same
OS, to potential clone makers, as MS-DOS. When the IBM PC became a
hit, and clone makers turned out product faster than IBM anticipated,
Bill Gates and Microsoft were on the road to top of the computer
world. Digital Research and CP/M became a forgotten footnote.

Only now is the Microsoft/Intel software/hardware grip on the
computing world beginning to loosen. The growing markets are new
products like smartphones and tablets. These devices use ARM
processors, instead of Intel product, and most use Android as the OS.
Intel and Microsoft aren't going to die, but the computing market is
growing in new areas, that they don't control. In time, if they may
become irrelevant, but its up to them, and its still years, if not a
decade or two away.