On 1/14/12 6:30 AM, jb-electronics wrote:
Hi,

Vacuum gauges are made by Varian. There's a panel meter and a little
metal gizmo with an octal base like an old vacuum tube. Look on ebay.

thanks, I did. The actual gauges are quite pricy, maybe I can use a more
ordinary pressure sensor and build a gauge of my own.

Thanks again,
Jens

An ordinary pressure sensor is useless for below 10 mbar, since the resolution is poor. The fancy ones use an ionization sensor to get an accurate reading at very low pressure.

And I made a mistake - it's not Varian you want, but Hastings.

Google for 'hastings vacuum' and you'll find lots of meters and sensors. The meters are $150-250 and the sensors are $50-100. But they work well.

The other brand of vacuum gauge that we use is Pfeiffer/Balzers, but they are really expensive. They go down to the microtorr level, though.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ