My source for this isnt necessarily accurate, however they say the
mains freq is accurate in the uk over a 24 hour period from 9 am till
9 am, they speed up and slow down the gensets during the 24 hours and
at night time they control the speed to get the right amount of cycles
for the last 24 hours, ie your clock might speed up and slow down
during the day, but at 9 am it'll be spot on.
That could be twaddle I heard it on a well known vintage radio forum.
The stability of the mains frequency varies depending where you are,
the us however has a large grid system and logic states that they'd
have to keep the frequency accurate to maintain compatibility for
switching suppliers which happens all the time.
A 32.768 xtal osc is a good one to start with, the 32.768 is designed
for watches and divides down by 2 to 1 hz and they are stable when
loaded with the correct capacitance, next up would be a crystal oven,
do a google for that, my later designs are synced to the npl msf time
code sgnal on 60kc's, you can get a receiver on ebay for a few quid,
similar services are in use around the globe.