> > have a Nixie clock based on that (uses mains frequency), and I can
> > tell you that it is not true at my outlets!  The clock loses a few
> > minutes every day, which makes it more of a lamp then a clock.
>
> I suspect that's more a problem with the clock than the power frequency.  To
> extract a good timing signal from the polluted hash that is the power line is
> not trivial, and many of implementations do a poor job.  I suspect the one in
> your clock is such, as the US power grid hasn't lost enough cycles to lose a
> few minutes a day in a long time (local power interruptions excepted).  With
> mechanical, synchronous-motor clocks, simple inertia rides through spikes,
> notches, dips, and the like with no problem.  With electronic clocks, a fair
> amount of ingenuity is called for.
>
> Try plugging your clock into a power conditioner (if you can find a
> ferroresonant transformer, this is perfect) and see if it improves.

My wife's LED clock, an old Panasonic one, loses about 5 minutes per
week... mains noise is a reasonable idea, John, but wouldn't spikes
and such *add* "cycles" and so make the clock gain time instead of
losing it?
Lower mains frequency is a symptom of an overloaded grid, what's
exactly the case with the Argentina one.

Gastón