David-

Although I'm still a neophyte here also, I have built an Arduinix and
recommend it as a good kit to learn with.  If you go to the site that was
posted, you can download the Arduino code for it to get an idea of how it
works.  I have also been using an Arduino on its own to do my own testing
with a 74141 chip ad the driver connected to it.  The 74141 is designed to
drive nixies, and you can play with it by connecting the 5V out from the
Arduino into the Vcc on the chip, and the ground to ground.  The chip uses
a truth table to determine which digit to light up based on whether or not
you give it 5 volts (1 in the table) or 0V (ground - or 0 in the table).
 You can assign 4 of the digital pins on the Arduino as outputs, and then
flip them on or off in combination to light the digit you want after
hooking them up to the inputs on the 74141 using a breadboard.   You will
be hooking the outputs up to the cathodes on the nixie tube.

To define pin D5 as output, here is the code:
pinMode(5, OUTPUT);

To send the 74141 a 1 for the truth table (i.e. HIGH = 5V = 1 in this case):
 digitalWrite(5, HIGH);

To set it back to 0:
digitalWrite(5,LOW);

You can also build a circuit yourself using just high voltage transistors
instead of the IC and drive those with the Arduino.  I'm sure this wouldn't
be that hard either, but I have gone the 74141 route since they are cheap
and plentiful on eBay.

 I think breadboarding out the 74141 connected to a nixie tube and an
Arduino would be a great learning experience.  You will however also need
some kind of high voltage power supply to hook up to the anode of the nixie
with a current limiting resistor.   You can build these in a number of
different ways, but I ended up purchasing one to get started.  If you build
the Ardunix, all of this stuff is already incorporated, but if you
breadboard your own you will need to come up with a PSU.

This link is a decent start with an Arduino circuit shown and some basic
info:
http://www.lucadentella.it/en/category/nixie-clock/

Here is the 74141 truth table:

Input

Output
onDCB A0000

0000 1

10010

2 0011

30100

40101

501 10

60111

7 1000

8100 1

91010

none 1011

none110 0

none1101

none 1110

none1111

none
74141 datasheet:
http://neonixie.com/ic/english-datasheet-1.jpg
http://neonixie.com/ic/english-datasheet-2.jpg

If you're in the US, Sparkfun sells some fairly nice male to male
connectors you can use to connect the Arduino outputs to the breadboard:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8431

Once you get comfortable with that, you can read up on the time functions
on the Ardunio, including how to hook it up to a RTC chip like the ones
Maxim makes:
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/getting-started-with-arduino-chapter-seven/

This is also very easy to breadboard if you use a DIP based RTC once you
get the process of driving the nixie down.

Multiplexing is a way to drive multiple nixies in a clock without as many
pins being required, and may be something you want to investigate down the
road, but I would start simple.

Hope that helps!