Hello Michel,

welcome to the group! :-)

Your wristwatch sounds very interesting, is there any chance to see some pictures without joining evil? ;-)

Best regards,
Jens

Hello everybody here in the neonixie group.

My name is Michel, dutch from origin and living in Australia for
nearly 9 years now.
I am an electronics and software engineer by trade, re-design
electronic control systems for mainly pharmaceutical tablet counting
machinery.
These machines have been around for a while (over 40 years) and yes,
the first electronic ones used nixie tubes to display the numbers.
I got a couple of those old counters, and I am actually very impressed
with one of them which is entirely made up of transistors (transistor
BCD counters and transistor BCD to Nixie decoders).

I am also fascinated by wristwatches since I was like 5 years old. Had
a small repair shop called "Kopriso" when I was 12 (see "Kopriso
Watchmaking" on facebook).
At some stage I came across Jeff Thomas and also David Forbes nixie
watches and I thought it was a nice concept, but not very practical
because of the size of these watches. I also think the watch enclosure
from DF doesn't really match the beauty of the tubes and for sure
there is potential in improvement regarding battery life.

I played around with the tubes and batteries and found a way to reduce
the size, improve the design and get better battery life at the same
time. This design is now in a concept stage, I should receive the
boards within a few weeks to try it all out for real (see "Nixie
Watch" on facebook).

A mayor struggling point is the high voltage converter which, like DF
mentioned for his design, only has a 50% efficiency. I got 2 different
designs to try out, one should run between 75 and 85%, the other
between 80 and 90%. This is only possible using very specific
components, so I am really looking forward to do the final
calculations on the results.

Another project I am working on consists of the conversion of 2 old
batch counters (one has 4 tubes, the other 3 tubes) and let them work
together to form a clock with a 0.1second accuracy. This is of course
much easier than the watch, but just as exciting!

Anyway, will also browse through your projects here in the group and
see how creative you all are!

Best regards,
Michel