Maybe dump the caps via an inductance [hopefully low R losses?].

Maybe monitor the current and switch it off as some of the H-bridge motor drivers do? Except that uses some wasteful circuitry to achieve it.

John K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rehwinkel" <jreh...@mac.com>
...clip....
I was thinking about this and display efficiency. Obviously, efficiency would improve if anode resistors are dispensed with, but then it's left to the power supply to monitor and control current through a negative resistance. David's watch does this directly, by incorporating current feedback into the power supply. However, David's watch is direct drive. I was thinking about how to do this with a multiplexed watch.

What I came up with is a little nuts, and probably would do horrible things to tube life, but I haven't tried it yet. I was thinking of using a circuit like the General Radio 1538 Strobotac, which has a cute way of building up charge for its flashtube by running a flyback type converter with a pulse train, charging up a storage capacitor incrementally until it has the desired amount of energy (they also claim nearly 100% efficiency, as their device can operate from batteries as well). This would be an interesting concept for a multiplexed nixie display: configure the cathode drivers, then dump a packet of charge into an anode capacitor. If the voltage is high enough, ionization should be gratifyingly fast. Since the capacitor is small, the total amount of energy would be limited. However, this would be running a nixie rather like a flashtube, with brief, high-current pulses. The duty cycle would be tiny, but the overload would be great. What this would do to tube lifetime, I don't know. It might be just fine, it might blast the cathode to pieces in hours. ...clip...