On 6 Feb 2012, at 18:23, Nick wrote:

Hmmm... I was aware of Groove Tubes and Aspen Pittman, but there is a
lot of bad feeling out there:
http://la-economy.blogspot.com/2011/11/aspen-pittman-groove-tubes- legacy.html
etc.

It seems that Groove Tube tubes were never made in the USA - they were
Chinese, then selected and matched in the USA by a lengthy, largely
manual, process. Nowadays, automated testers do a faster & better job
at half the price from a number of vendors. The kit that is for sale
may not have been used for many many years (if it works at all).

Caveat emptor!

Nick

My friends in the jukebox world are pulling out old sets of amp tubes all the time. I replaced a set of originals recently in my '59 stereo Wurlitzer and replaced them with new matched Sovtek Reflektor Electro- Harmonix tubes. I was advised to sell the old tubes to the guitar amp nuts who go crazy after the old originals, which of course must sound soooo much better than anything around these days. I don't suppose many of them have much understanding about the electrons in their amps. It's the Emperor's New Clothes. They care more about story appeal and coolness than anything else.

As if to scold me for such impertinence, one of the new Electro- Harmonix tubes started to cook my jukebox. So I swapped the old bottles back in while I obtained a new matched set. I now have the new matched set but I cannot honestly tell any difference myself between the old tubes and the new tubes but the meticulous matching and changing of all the other component, caps and resistors and impedance matching the cartridge has made a huge difference.

John S