-----Original Message-----
From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of John Rehwinkel
Sent: dinsdag 7 februari 2012 22:45
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Nixie clock with vacuum tubes

> You want the 5963 or 5965 as replacement for the 12AU7, or the 5964 as a
replacement for the 6J6. These digital tubes used to be cheap, until some
seller to audiophiles got the bright idea to claim that they have that warm
tube sound.

You mean that "warm distortion" ? ;-)

eric

>That always made me laugh.  To make them, RCA removed the silicon additives
from the cathode metal, which had been put there to make activation faster
(=cheaper).  The computer tubes took longer to activate, so they cost more.
However, since linearity, gain balance, and the like were non-issues, these
tubes would have a much greater allowable spread of characteristics
(increasing yield and somewhat counterbalancing the increased cost of longer
cathode activation).  This does mean, of course, that they don't make
particularly good audio tubes, except that the sort of audiophiles that keep
their heaters lit 24/7 and only do listening occasionally, will avoid
cathode interface issues.

- John