On 15 Feb 2012, at 21:24, Cobra007 wrote:

Well honestly, I do think an invention *must* be defined as "I found out what nobody else has found out before", no matter what the Latin word truly means. I find out many things in 1 day, but they are not unique nor would I call them inventions :-).

OK, make up your own rules, but that is not the original meaning of the word. All finding out is based on what someone found out before you. Language, logical thinking, principles of electronics. You are not going to make a nixie watch that you can claim is your sole property or invention, for instance.

I say to find out, pure and simple, is a more honest and less conceited way to look at the word invention. A disaster is a bad astrological reading of the stars, a dis-aster. I think we changed that word too. I get more of those than inventions, but then I don't know much about electronics.

John S