> Then don't turn on the other tube at that time! I turn on only one tube
> at a time, which removes that problem.

That is not completely true, it's not that I turn on both tubes at the
same time, it is because the current starts to flow through the wrong
tube because IT CAN. With a 170V anode voltage and a 50V clamping
zener, the minimum voltage on either of the tubes (on or off) is 120V.
A tube that has 120V, is switched off but was switched on just a
fraction earlier (due to multiplexing) will leak current from anode to
ground through the zener clamping diode. You can't stop that unless
you disconnect the anode from the HV power supply, through an extra
transistor or something else.

I agree that adding complexity will in most cases reduce the
reliability. In my case, it is not so much that the circuit becomes
more complex (replacing 8 transistors in 1 package by 8 discrete
transistors) it is more an increase in PCB complexity. So I am not
worried that it will decrease the reliability.

Michel