Hi,

for easier maintenance and also due to my dissatisfactory glassworking skills I will use a standard vacuum flange system. There is a very good needle valve I used once in the university that I would love to have for my setup. It allows you to let in the gas very (!) smoothly so almost any pressure can be achieved given the vacuum system is not leaky. The bad part is that this valve costs 200 EUR, which is much for a student (if you have to pay rent and stuff...). But it is a one-time investment that will definetely pay off.

Interesting about the vermiculite, I did not know it was sufficient to just put the glass in there, I thought some kind of active tempering was still required.

Jens

Hi, for what do You need needle valve? And how much does that costs? I use common glass high vacuum valves..

I am going to build an oven according to: http://www.teralab.co.uk/Glass_Blowing/Annealing_Oven/Annealing_Oven_Page1.htm

Now I use a box with vermiculite ($10), it works surprisingly well, if You are patient enough to wait until it really cools down, nice result may be obtained. But the real annealing is still better. Look here: http://www.randombytes.org/lamps_old.html

Dalibor