Hi Dailbor,

you mention a key point: I tried a setup with ordinary refrigeration tech hoses before (just like the ones on your website) and I also used transparent silicone hoses. The result was: It was not tight. There were leaks all over the place.

That is why I want to get rid of this problem by using modern flange systems. It is a bit expensive, but it is money I only have to spend once. It saves (me) a lot of time and grief, but of course, everybody has to find his or her own way. There are many ways of more or less successful Nixie tube making :-)

Jens

Making a glass vacuum system (filling manifold) is quite easy with glassblowing torch and blowhose. I tried several T-joints and when I was satisfied with function (look could be better) I started to make a glass system. I am not decided how to connect it to vacuum pump, I realised, that silicone hoses (I use) outgasses to much..

Vermiculite is curious material, it is very light, it has almost no thermal capacity, it is good thermal insulant, so the cooling is very slow. The heat from the annealed glass is enough.

Dalibor