RS232 spec is a range of voltage. There is a spec for the max supply volts and a clarification for the 'logic' level. eg -16 to -3 is one 'level' and +3 to +16 is the other. [I'll dig out my copy if needed.] Many receivers don't implement the dead area and some don't require the change of polarity, just a change to Gnd.

John K.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michel" <mic...@xiac.com>
To: "neonixie-l" <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 5:22 PM
Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: RS232 line driver

I just want to establish some serial communication between my computer
and a PIC controller. Like David mentioned, RS232 is actually +/- 10V
rather than +/- 5V. The levels directly from controller are obviously
only 0V and 5V. Now I am thinking, for the Rx input this is not a
problem because it will easily handle the +/- 10V input signals if I
add a series resistor. But the Tx output needs to go from 0V/5V to +/-
10V which is normally done with a MAX232 for example. The MAX has 4
line converters (2 input; 2 output) but I only need 1 for my Tx
signal. So I was after something smaller like an 8 pin or even a 5 pin
driver that works on just a +5V supply.

Michel