So let me see if I understand this correctly.

Out of the original 6 tubes, one was bad, and the seller replaced it.

Then in another, non-ebay, non-paypal transaction, a high percentage
of the tubes were bad. Yet somehow you managed to file a claim with
ebay and paypal and get a refund on the original 6 tube transaction.

I'm not saying you didn't get ripped off, but you didn't get ripped
off on the original transaction. The seller made good on that.

I'm just not sure it's ethical to get a refund on some of the bad
tubes from the second transaction by claiming that the tubes in the
original, ebay/paypal/covered transaction were the bad ones.

Just thinking out loud here. Sorry you got stuck with a bunch of bad
tubes... maybe your interactions with ebay/paypal left a bad taste in
the sellers mouth and he decided not to make it right for you. After
all, this transaction by certified check - outside of ebay/paypal -
technically leaves him with no contractual obligation to do so....
you're buying used, unwarranted merchandise in a private party
transaction.

Of course we've all done it. In fact you and I have had a few
perfectly fine non-ebay transactions. All went well, even when one of
my tubes arrived broken at your doorstep. I promptly refunded your
money, the USPS promptly refunded my money, and everyone came out OK.
But clearly it's a buyer beware situation in every such transaction,
and we all need to behave civilly in order to make these things work.

A tough lesson learned, I guess.... one to chalk up to experience.